This version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, first broadcast 5 August 1961, is new to me.

It came to my attention via charlieboy at otrplus. He came across it at radioarchivecc where it was uploaded by Pheeps.

There's a comment in the file's tag saying it was possibly recorded from a 11 April 1965 broadcast.

I think it sounds better than the version widely available which is sometimes found split into three files.

Skydrive Hobbs & Shelley HOUN 1961 alt

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 8233083300?profile=RESIZE_710x

I just thought I'd give a shout out for this. It's a nice little programme. It was aired a few times in 2014 on 4Extra. I did make a thread or a post for it the first time round (that's 2014, not 1970!).

When I listen to Hobbs reading Doyle I think it's a shame that there are no complete story readings by Hobbs. As for Norman Shelley readings, I'm aware he read The Blue Carbuncle in a half hour Home Service programme in the Stories of Crime and Detection series on 22 October 1968. I've never come across a recording of it by the way.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtysrMVCq67PmGSt81xzlNGnJbnz?e=5czPC1

Chosen Companions
    Sherlock Holmes

BBC Radio 4
    First broadcast August 23, 1970. 22:10 - 22:50
    repeated June 1, 1971. 09:35 - 10:15

Richard Usborne. one-time assistant editor of The Strand Magazine, presents his
    choice of extracts from the Sherlock Holmes stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Reader: Carleton Hobbs
    Produced By: Richard Keen

• I grabbed a copy of this when it was broadcast on Radio 4Extra. It's a great programmme. 

I hope 4Extra don't make us wait too long to broadcast the Hobbs Shelley versions of the novels. Fingers crossed for improved quality Home Service versions.

• This is something I made for myself but your post prompted me to post it.
      It's an edit of Douglas' 3 part World Service broadcast of The Sign of the Four. I couldn't resist attempting this. Try to make an edit of how it would of played out when first aired as a Saturday-Night Theatre on 2nd March 1963 on the Home Service. Cut out the intros and outros so all that's left is the story. It's not meant to be a replacement for the World Service 3 parter. Just a bit of fun. It turned out quite well. The mp3 is 46MB. Comments welcome!

Dropbox direct link SIGNedit

• Thank you.  Keep up the good work.

• Thanks for this, Jake!

• I'm just having a read of the UK Society's District Messenger for October 2020 and it has the following,

Andrew Jupp from BBC Radio advises “The last Carleton Hobbs and Norman Shelley 6x30min series begins on Radio 4 extra on November 2. We shall look at running the four novel dramatisations at some stage.”

• I wonder what "at some stage" means? But still it's good news as it appears to indicate they have the recordings.

• Thanks a lot to Jake and Douglas! I've filled in some stuff I'd been missing from a computer crash or two before I took my head out of the cloud and stored my shows there instead.

• Thanks Douglas.

Charlie

• Thanks from me, as well!

Roger

This reply was deleted.