12702142695?profile=RESIZE_710x12702142894?profile=RESIZE_584x12702143456?profile=RESIZE_400x

I've been looking for this Doctor Watson TV film/play for years. I believe it was only broadcast once.

It popped up on Youtube 4 months ago. I search a few places for Holmes and Doyle content, and those are the search terms I use. Happening to look up and see Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim on my bookshelf yesterday whilst trying a few searches I recalled he wrote The Darkwater Hall Mystery, which lead to me searching for Darkwater, and up it popped. It's never had an official release on VHS/DVD/streaming.

First, here's a link to the Youtube page if you want to just stream it.

Youtube Dr Watson and the Darkwater Hall Mystery

I have also uploaded a mp4 file of it to Dropbox, ripped from Youtube, for those like me who want a local copy. It's about 255MB. I rarely use Dropbox and everytime I do the interface seems to change so I hope this works. It works for me but I don't know if I have set it up right so that anybody can download.

Dr Watson and the Darkwater Hall Mystery BBC TV 19741227

In May 1978 The Darkwater Hall Mystery was published in Playboy as a Kingsley Amis short story. In the same year Kingsley Amis wrote a longer version which had a limited release of 165+25 copies. I've also seen an image online of the inlay card of a Playboy Audio double cassette release of this. A double cassette as it featured more than just The Darkwater Hall Mystery. I don't know for certain but would assume it's just the shorter Playboy version on this cassette release.

I do have a pdf file of the Playboy version if anybody is interested. It's just the story, not the complete issue of Playboy! Again, this is on Dropbox.

The Darkwater Hall Mystery (Playboy May 1978)

Radio Times synopsis -

Dr Watson and the Darkwater Hall Mystery
A Singular Adventure by Kingsley Amis

BBC One
Fri 27th December 1974, 21:15 - 22:25

Director:James Cellan Jones

Sherlock Holmes goes away for a rest-cure.
Dr Watson, left behind at Baker Street, is asked to help a lady in distress.

Cast:
Dr Watson: Edward Fox
Emily: Elaine Taylor
Sir Harry: Christopher Cazenove
Miles: Jeremy Clyde
Bradshaw: John Westbrook
Carlos: Terence Bayler
Dolores: Carmen Gomez
Black Paul: Anthony Langdon
Black Paul's woman: Anne Cunningham
Mrs Hudson: Marguerite Young
Maddocks: Derek Deadman

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.