A Study In Scarlet 1974 4Extra broadcast

A Study in Scarlet

BBC Radio 4 FM
First broadcast: 25 December 1974 20.00 pm

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
dramatised by Michael Hardwick
Producer Roger Pine

An American is found dead in an empty house in the Brixton Road. Inspector Gregson of Scotland Yard is puzzled. He consults Mr Sherlock Holmes , a rather eccentric young gentleman who, together with J. H. Watson. md, has recently taken up residence at 221B Baker Street.

Sherlock Holmes: Robert Powell
Dr Watson: Dinsdale Landen
Insp Gregson: Frederick Treves
Insp Lestrade: John Hollis
Jefferson Hope: Don Fellows
PC Rance: John Samson
Mme Charpentier: Madi Hedd
Alice Charpentier: Carole Boyd
Mrs Sawyer: Nigel Lambert
Enoch J Drebber: Paul Maxwell
Stangerson: Peter Whitman
Commissionaire: Alan Dudley

Earlier today (20141018) BBC's 4Extra broadcast Robert Powell and Dinsdale Landen's A Study In Scarlet which was first broadcast on Christmas Day 1974 (8pm) on Radio 4.
The old copy I had was mono 64kbit. This 4Extra repeat is 128kbit joint-stereo. To my knowledge it's the first time it's received a digital airing.
I have replaced the old version I had on Onedrive with this 4Extra version.

Onedrive A Study In Scarlet 19741225

In the coming weeks 4Extra are also airing Gielgud's The Final Problem and "In Search of Professor Moriarty", an extract from HRF Keating's 1979 bio on Holmes, read by Alan Moore which was first broadcast alongside The Valley of Fear (Tim Pigott Smith version) in 1986.

Recently the BBC finally put their Genome Project online as well. It has lots of errors as it was put together from scanning Radio Times and then using OCR software on those scanned images. I've already found one BBC reading that I'd never heard of in the past. Nigel Lambert (who plays Mrs Sawyer in this version of A Study In Scarlet) reading an adaptation of A Study In Scarlet on Radio 4's Story Time in 1981.

Here's the link to the Genome Project

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In stereo? Thank you, Jake!

Roger

• As a follow-up, the BBC is advertising these new airings as "The BBC Holmes Service" and promises "several archived works" over the coming weeks.

Bob

• Thank you!

• Thanks, Jake. This is exciting news!

This reply was deleted.