Carleton Hobbs and Norman Shelley

Here is what all us Sherlocks have been waiting for--the Sherlock Holmes dramas staring Carleton Hobbs and Norman Shelley. These are hard to gather because the actors are not named in most episodes. These are easy to gather because only the Doyle stories are used, and they were produced after the Geilguds and before the Merrisons. Let's begin with the four novels which come in three parts.

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just a word of thanks to everyone who has so willingly shared information and copies of these wonderful recordings.  I know there are still some elusive broadcasts we'd all like to have but it's wonderful to have so many of these.  For me, these recordings of the Canon will always be the best.

• Happy Christmas to everybody in the group.

The Carleton Hobbs Sherlock Holmes Further Collection

00 Introduction by Nick Utechin
    01 The Copper Beeches 11th August 1959
    02 Thor Bridge 1st January 1962
    03 The Sussex Vampire 18th September 1964
    04 The Three Garridebs 4th September 1964
    05 The Three Gables 2nd October 1964
    06 The Retired Colourman 9th October 1964
    07 The Boscombe Valley Mystery 12th December 1966
    08 The Crooked Man 19th December 1966
    09 The Cardboard Box 19th April 1960
    10 A Case of Identity 26th June 1969
    11 The Naval Treaty 22nd March 1960
    12 The Noble Bachelor 18th August 1959

Utechin also introduces each story.

To ease the process of downloading I have packaged this as 2 zips so you only need go through the 4Shared download process twice instead of 13 times!
    The first zip, 'Holmes Further (1-6)', includes the intro and the first 6 stories. 'Holmes Further (7-12)' has the last 6 stories.
    This collection's folder can be found in the same 4Shared Hobbs folder that includes the first collection as well as the Radio 7 repeats collection. I linked to those in an earlier post.

• Have a great holiday season and thank you for all you have done and continue to do.  It is always appreciated.

• Great Christmas present, Jake

All the Best

Wil

• Thanks to all who provided these shows and discussed them so well.  It's a real treat to read comments from people who care.

• Hobbs is sporting a deerstalker, these images seem more about Paget than Doyle.

I do believe that there are three major blunders in fashion: the deerstalker, the Norfolk walking jacket (walking, indeed!) and the half-caped coat. It makes me shudder!

Great images by the way!

Merci

lefevre

• What Hobbs is wearing is country garb - as Holmes would be if he'd just returned from, say, Devon and found a mystery awaiting him at 221B Baker Street.

I've never heard a Norfolk jacket called a "walking jacket". Where did you find that expression?

Roger

• My Scottish grandmother always referred to it as a 'walking jacket', she was from the Isle of Lewis.
    • Interesting. That's one of the things I love about Times Past - I'm constantly learning!

Roger

• I know how you feel Roger, it's a brawny wee place!

She would have insisted that you donned your walking brogues with your Norfolk (the less formal monicker)'

"Lefevre, pu on yer walkin brogues and dinne forget yer Norfolk, lest ye get a chill!" Ta Gran!

This reply was deleted.