The Clitheroe Kid - UK 1957-72

Introducing Jimmy Clitheroe in THE CLITHEROE KID

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/clitheroe/

"His biggest hit, was The Clitheroe Kid, it ran for 15 years from 1957 (when he was over 30) on the BBC Light Programme and then on Radio Two and was the BBC’s longest-running situation comedy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clitheroe_Kid

The Clitheroe Kid was a long-running BBC radio comedy show featuring diminutive Northern comedian Jimmy Clitheroe in the role of a cheeky schoolboy, who lived with his family at 33 Lilac Avenue in an un-named town in the north of England. Jimmy's best friend was Ozzie, alias Oswald Higginbottom, a character who was only heard of second-hand and didn't actually appear. The pilot show, pilot series, and 16 subsequent series totalled 290 episodes in all, broadcast between April 1957 and August 13, 1972.

In this family you have:-    

Grandad; his daughter, her two children Susan and Jimmy; Alfie the boyfriend and Mr Higginbottom, Granddad's friend

Peter Sinclair playing Clitheroe's Scottish granddad,             

Patricia Burke as his mother  (in some early shows the part was played by Renee Houston),         

Diana Day as his long-suffering sister Susan                

Danny Ross played Alfie Hall, Susan's boyfriend                

Tony Melody played Mr Higginbottom,
also the "Black Hand Gang"

I always saw the family is a Lancashire town somewhere in a terraced house, an Urban environment.

I think this was on around Sunday lunchtimes when I was listening to it growing up.

Here are over 150 of the 250 programmes broadcast

Flies are HERE

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• iS  bit of a myth that some middl e class Englishmen with guilt visit Ladies of the Night for punishment.Not my idea of fun but if ever I feel the need for self punishment I would listen to this which I thought painfully unfunny when I was a child and now find it if possible even less funny Many apparently disagreed as it was a big radio hit for a long timeDoes it travel well or is it peculiar to England?

This reply was deleted.