Suspense - Episodes in High Quality

Suspense was a radio drama series broadcast on CBS from 1942 through 1962.

One of the premier drama programs of the Golden Age of Radio, was subtitled "radio's outstanding theater of thrills," and focused on suspense thriller-type scripts, usually featuring leading Hollywood actors of the era. Approximately 945 episodes were broadcast during its long run, and more than 900 are extant.

Suspense went through several major phases, characterized by different hosts, sponsors and director/producers. Formula plot devices were followed for all but a handful of episodes: the protagonist was usually a normal person suddenly dropped into a threatening or bizarre situation; solutions were "withheld until the last possible second"; and evildoers were punished in the end. The program made only occasional forays into science fiction and fantasy, including "The Man Who Tried to Save Lincoln" (a time travel fantasy), an adaptation of Curt Siodmak's Donovan's Brain and an adaptation of an H. P. Lovecraft short story, "The Dunwich Horror".

Alfred Hitchcock directed its audition show (for the CBS summer series Forecast). This was an adaptation of "The Lodger," a story Hitchcock had filmed in 1926 with Ivor Novello. Martin Grams, Jr., author of Suspense: Twenty Years of Thrills and Chills, described the Forecast origin of Suspense:

http://www.suspense-set.info/

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Robert:  These have disappeared.   I had managed to download only a third of them.

• Should be back up, server was down probably for awhile.

• It had the documents for the missing shows, and a couple of the last categories (I think it was "partial shows"), but all the "years" were missing.  It looked more like they had been taken down.  I'll check again later.

• Thank you, Robert. I will download them when I get home.

• WOW!  Thanks Robert!

• Oh, well.  This is long gone. 

• Hey, Robert,

Thanks so much for posting this outstanding and huge post.  It will be appreciated by many!

This reply was deleted.