The Quatermass

2309815867?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

The Quatermass Conclusion (1979)
102 min  -  Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi  -  1979 (USA)

Director:
Piers Haggard
Writer:
Nigel Kneale
Stars:
John Mills, Simon MacCorkindale, Barbara Kellerman

John Mills     John Mills     ...    
Prof. Bernard Quatermass
Simon MacCorkindale     Simon MacCorkindale     ...    
Joe Kapp
Barbara Kellerman     Barbara Kellerman     ...    
Clare Kapp
Margaret Tyzack     Margaret Tyzack     ...    
Annie Morgan
Brewster Mason     Brewster Mason     ...    
Gurov
Ralph Arliss     Ralph Arliss     ...    
Kickalong
Paul Rosebury     Paul Rosebury     ...    
Caraway
Jane Bertish     Jane Bertish     ...    
Bee
Rebecca Saire     Rebecca Saire     ...    
Hettie Carlson
Annabelle Lanyon     Annabelle Lanyon     ...    
Isabel
Toyah Willcox     Toyah Willcox     ...    
Sal
Bruce Purchase     Bruce Purchase     ...    
Tommy Roach
David Yip     David Yip     ...    
Frank Chen
Brenda Fricker     Brenda Fricker     ...    
Alison Thorpe
Tony Sibbald     Tony Sibbald     ...    
Chuck Marshall
See full cast »
Edit
Storyline
Add Full Plot | Add Synopsis
Plot Keywords:
character name in title
Genres:
Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller

1979 (USA)
The Quatermass Conclusion
Euston Films, Thames Television

Quatermass (also known as The Quatermass Conclusion or Quatermass IV) is a British television science fiction serial produced by Euston Films for Thames Television and broadcast on the ITV network in October and November 1979. Like its three predecessors, Quatermass was written by Nigel Kneale. It is the fourth and final television serial to feature the character of Professor Bernard Quatermass.

Influenced by the social and geopolitical situation of the early nineteen-seventies and the hippie youth movement of the late nineteen-sixties, Quatermass is set in a near future in which large numbers of young people are joining a cult, the “Planet People”, and gathering at prehistoric sites, believing they will be transported to a better life on another planet. The series begins with Professor Quatermass arriving in London to look for his granddaughter, Hettie Carlson, and witnessing the destruction of two spacecraft and the disappearance of a group of Planet People at a stone circle by an unknown force. He investigates this force, believing that Hettie may be in danger. As the series progresses, it becomes apparent that the Planet People are being harvested rather than transported. Professor Quatermass must devise a way to destroy the aliens before many more people die.

Quatermass was originally conceived as a BBC production, but after they lost faith in the project, due to spiralling costs, production was halted. The scripts were taken by Euston Films and Kneale, now working for independent television, was commissioned to rewrite the scripts into two versions: a four-part television serial and The Quatermass Conclusion, a 100-minute film, intended for international theatrical release

You need to be a member of Times Past to add comments!

Join Times Past

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you. The conclusion makes me want to see the episodes that led up to the ending. I agree with the comment  on the great performances!

• The final quatermassy: THANK YOU, RIK!!!!

• Continued expectation on these pieces, I think I saw one TV set at a friend's house in 1959/1960 or there abouts. It was quite frightening about a ship found buried in Hobbs Lane, London, I think (HobGoblins)

Thanks

Paul

• That was "The Pit".  I posted it, although it may not be the exact same one you saw on TV.  There was 2 done on almost all of them.  The BBC did them in Serial Style for TV and then Hammer redid them for worldwide movie consumption.  In some they were identical and in others the ending was different.  I have been trying to sort out what was what for some time.  ---------------------  R

• Many thanks!

• Thanks for sharing.

• Absolutely loved loved loved this when I first saw it a few years ago - though never understood why the Planet People weren't portrayed as punk rockers instead of hippies, they were so angst-riddled!!   Nonetheless, a good story with some very good performances.  THANKS RIK!! 

This reply was deleted.